Le Samouraï

Le Samouraï ★★★★

It seems that I have been looking at the DVD cover of this movie everyday since I joined Letterboxd. Le Samourai is the profile picture of Adam Cook who usually is ranked as the most popular reviewer here at Letterboxd. Well this morning during a library DVD run I saw this one sitting on the shelf...and figured I would check it out.

Le Samourai is a French movie that was made in 1967. It is about a very successful assassin who stumbles on his most recent assignment. The assassin is played by Alain Delon....while Francois Perier plays the cop hot on his trail. Most of the movie involves Delon dealing with the police and his bosses who are mad that things did not go as smooth as planned.

Delon's Jef Costello character is a very memorable one. Numerous times he reminded me of Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name character, Agent Smith from the Matrix movies and Jean Reno's Leon from the Professional....those in my mind are excellent roles to be compared to. A quick check on IMDB shows a stellar 8.2 rating...and the trivia says the movie has influenced many many movies of the years.

Although it is not mentioned...I would bet major money that director, Luc Besson, is a huge fan of this movie as well. Besson's Leon from The Professional could be Costello's son all grown up. Also there is a piano player that reminded me of the opera singer in Besson's The Fifth Element. I am sure a young movie loving French boy like Besson was heavily influenced by this movie...and when he grew up to be a famous director he gave homage to this movie in his movies.

Final thought: Check this one out.

UltimateMovieRankings liked these reviews