Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

There are probably better movies that I've seen this year, but I think this is my movie of the year. Nothing has hit me the way this movie does. This thing is irreverent throughout, and yet emotionally resonant in a way that probably had me tearing up at least ten times.

Side note - knowing now that there is a finite number of Stan Lee cameos left in the universe is really starting to mess with my head.

I don't think I've quite realized how visually stagnant the super hero movie has become until this movie grabbed me and forced me to open my eyes to all these colors I'd never seen before. The mesh of animation styles never feels jarring. Instead, it feels like a beautiful mish mash.

I think this also might be the darkest spider-man movie? It has at least three emotional punches that are on the level of anything Pixar has done, which is saying something. It's not a new sentiment to say a movie made me feel like a kid... but this movie made me feel like I was nine years old again, spending my Saturday alone in my room, reading about Peter Parker and escaping into his world.

I'm so happy this movie exists. I don't have a bad quip. I'm just so thankful, and full of glee that I got to have my two hours in this spider-verse.