La La Land

La La Land ★★★★

With the opening musical number I thought, "Uh oh, I'm not going 'ga ga' for 'La La'." But then we quickly get to the stars of the show. Gosling is Gosling, which is always a good thing, but it's Emma Stone who knocks it out of the park. She's like this marbled superwoman of the best qualities of Audrey Hepburn, Annie Hall and 90s-heyday Julia Roberts, with eyes bigger than E.T., which is the best of compliments. The characters are thin, of course, but she brings so much life and expression with her eyes, it's electric. She'll get the Oscar.

And this film really comes at the perfect time for Hollywood. When was the last big sweeping romance? One with such color and mood conveyed through the manipulation of editing? The lighting changes struck me. The dissolves seriously struck me. But more importantly, I bought into the romance and went along with the ride. It's not going to reinvent the wheel, but every once and a while Hollywood needs to pat itself on the back and celebrate all the golden memories of yesteryear, while also looking ahead, and I think this film walks that walk pretty damn well.

Colin the dude liked these reviews