Tenet

Tenet ★★★★

The rewatch bump is real. You have to let yourself go, obviously. This has been hammered home by the Tenet faithful over and over. On first watch, you're trying to hang on every word because every word has some bit of ancillary "plot juice" attached to it. It can drive you crazy. I might have yawned once during the first watch at a particularly crucial mumble of "plot juice" that went in one ear and out the other, which then confused like 20% of movie motive thereafter. But a skim of Wikipedia's very generalized plot summary is really all you need to stay on track. This is a movie designed for the rewatch where character motives are already ingrained in you and you're just there for aristocratic spectacle.

I will say, regarding the spectacle, there isn't really one standout "wow" moment. Most of his other films have at least one "wow" moment for me that I'm anticipating on rewatch. I don't sense a feeling of, "I can't wait for that scene," with Tenet. But that's not to say it isn't a shining, thrilling exercise in manipulation. Nolan is dicing up time itself to a molecular level. Tenet is an intimidating, labyrinthine event horizon of editing that will be studied in universities into the 2100's.

Colin the dude liked these reviews