The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★½

Maybe it was my theater, but this was so loud with noise that my ears felt molested by the grinding of steel. On the plus side, it helped make other films look smoother in hindsight. Makes Curse of the Black Pearl look like Raiders and the recent Sherlock Holmes look like Mamet wrote it. This is the most tired I've ever been with a Johnny Depp performance, though I have skipped the majority of his latest stuff. He was a non-presence to me here and unbelievably unfunny and old hat. Sad to have to say this, as he is a living legend in his own right. I guess if you start it at the 2 hour mark, you have a pretty fun action sequence and a fine piece of film making that takes full advantage of scope and choreography and it still just left me frustrated. If Gore Verbinski could have made a western, an R-rated western, with Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp and forget the whole Lone Ranger angle altogether, then his approach to the violence and scope could be fully utilized, but this isn't the world we live in.

Colin the dude liked these reviews