The Strangers: Prey at Night ★★★½

I've always thought of the original Strangers as one of the greatest horror films in modern times. When I heard there was going to be a sequel directed by the guy behind 47 Meters Down I had my reservations even if I actually kind of enjoyed that dumb shark movie with Mandy Moore. I was not expecting Prey At Night to be anywhere near as good as it turned out to be.

While the first one is much more of a slow burn with nail-biting tension and quiet suspense this one goes all out balls-to-the-walls and never lets up once it starts. It plays out with a lot more action and strategy here which is exciting in a horror film where you expect everyone to make poor decisions the whole time.

The atmosphere is another thing making this a step above most horror thrillers. Neon-lighting and 80s Synth pop actually elevate this in a weird grindhouse kind of way. It's got it's issues, mostly in it's obnoxious first act but once the ball gets rolling I was in it 100%. Still not as good as the original but definitely a satisfying and worthy entry into the series.

2018 Ranked boxd.it/1EvT2