Under the Silver Lake ★★★★½

2 tablespoons Southland Tales
4 teaspoons The Crying of Lot 49
1 stick The Long Goodbye
A dash of Mulholland Drive

Under the Silver Lake was one of my most anticipated films of the year for me. I really enjoyed David Robert Mitchell's first two features Myth of the American Sleepover and It Follows, so I was kind of expecting this to be one of the best experiences cinema has to offer in 2018. Turns out to be one of the most perplexing experiences instead.

I'm not even going to try and say I understand it all after a first viewing. To be honest I'm more confused than the first time I watched InCoherent Vice, but I feel like that's kind of the point of this noir for millennials. It's narrative is just as paranoid and disillusioned as our protagonist. As a result the whole film is kind of fever-dream-esque like Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

There are probably more dead ends than answers to the mysteries this film presents. If you can deal with that and just enjoy the crazy wacky ride than you will enjoy this, but if you want to find the hidden truths of this you might be looking forever into a massive web of conspiracies, surrealist nonsense, and pop culture references.

Overall I enjoyed this a lot, but on a first watch I was a little overwhelmed. I will dive back into the Silver Lake one of these days and it's possible my rating could definitely go up on a rewatch. I would recommend it. Definitely one of the more unpredicatable films of the year. An experience.

The music producer/pianist mastermind behind all nostalgic pop-and-rock hits is definitely the highlight of the film for me and one of the best scenes in years. Also what the fuck was up with that owl lady?

How's work?