Vice ★½

There are of course pieces of this that are funny and clever and maybe even occasionally startling...look man, it's hard to argue that it isn't at least engrossing. But don't be fooled, just like THE BIG SHORT this is another McKay film about how you aren't mad enough or informed enough, not as smart or caustic or active as you should be. The idea that nobody knew Dick Cheney was evil human garbage consumed by the pursuit of power and/or money and was responsible for the "legal" taking of, what, how many untold thousands of lives (an accusation it literally directly levels at the audience) is, to put it mildly, completely fucking smug and condescending. I guess we were collectively supposed to rise up and cut his throat, shame on us all? Just because I totally agree with this doesn't mean it can't be bullshit that insults my intelligence. There's an extended scene where Dick and Lynne slip into some faux-Macbeth routine and we're honestly expected to put up with it. What even is the point of this? An embarrassment.

matt liked these reviews