The Woods ★★★★

Shorts of 2017 Ranked
----------
So I caved the day before its YouTube release and got a free month trial for RoosterTeeth First.

Sugar Pine 7's first official short film The Woods is as great as I expected it to be. Decent acting, great camera work, colorful lighting. The fact that this was shot in a mere 3 days is astounding. I mean WOW.

There are problems of course. First of all the reveal of the creature was underwhelming. I think keeping it hidden would've been a better route to go with to maintain tension.

Secondly this film goes fast, and not necessarily in a bad way. In a way that makes you wish this was more of a full length feature film. Characters have problems and the world they're in has rules that all could've been more fleshed out in a larger amount of time.

The Woods shows the talent and ambition of Sugar Pine 7 and I can't wait for them to make more short films. I hope they attempt a full length movie in the future as well, which judging from their quick rise to success I'm sure RoosterTeeth is willing to help with anything they come up with.

JP liked these reviews