mother! ★★★★

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

Possibly the most difficult film I’ve had to assess in 2017. This was one of my most anticipated movies of last year, and I was pumped to watch it opening weekend. There was a mixed reception, but I wasn’t worried because there are many critics of Aronofsky’s work. In the end, I was very pleased with the film, but the execution could’ve been done a little differently in my opinion. Bardem is absolutely fantastic as usual, and I didn’t mind Lawrence’s performance in this film. An Aronofsky-Lawrence film was bound to happen eventually, so I wasn’t too upset when I found out she would be the star of the film. Many people get onto how many metaphors and allegories are used in the film, but I didn’t think it was too over-the-top, and was rather tasteful. This film is shot brilliantly, and it is very claustrophobic throughout which was a great decision regarding the context of the film. My main gripe is the execution of the final act. I felt that is was too rushed with many things being thrown in your face to the point where you can’t settle with anything Aronofsky is trying to say. I believe after rewatch I will enjoy this film even more, but in the meantime this is a perfectly fine output from the great Darren Aronofsky.

Connor liked these reviews