The Royal Tenenbaums ★★★★½

Being a good father isn’t as easy as it seems. One of my favorite directors is Wes Anderson, and I’ve been needing to complete his filmography for quite some time now. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of his most beloved films to date, so I figured why not watch one of his best works. Thankfully, this turned out to be one of the best films he’s made so far. From the opening voiceover from the great Alec Baldwin to the final slow-mo shot to finish the movie off, The Royal Tenenbaums was such a delight from start to finish. Gene Hackman gives one of the best performances of his career playing the charismatic loser of Royal Tenenbaum. Every single one of these characters is unique and has distinct qualities to them, and that’s what makes Anderson special. Once you’re introduced to each character they become cemented into your mind and you’ll never forget them again. Gwyneth Paltrow as Margot Tenenbaum is phenomenal and gives a very stern, expressionless, and mysterious performance that I was surprised to see from Paltrow. My least favorite characters and performances were probably Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson’s characters, we’ve already seen these type of performances and characters from the two actors so they were a bit bland to me. There were a lot of surprising and interesting story elements when it came to the family dynamics, with a decision from Luke Wilson’s character that completely threw me off guard. There are a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, particularly from Hackman, but there is enough serious undertones and themes that make it well-balanced. As usual, this is shot almost perfectly with every technical detail executed to perfection. Wes Anderson is quickly becoming a top-5 favorite director of mine, and films like The Royal Tenenbaums proves that he’s one of the best working today.

Top 20 Films of the 2000s