Won't You Be My Neighbor? ★★★★½

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

It’s all good in the neighborhood. I didn’t particularly anticipate this film before it came out because I wasn’t fully aware or didn’t live through Mr. Rogers’ glory years, so I didn’t really have a reason for seeing an upcoming documentary about his life. After seeing how much praise it was getting from both critics and fans my interest of the film suddenly sparked and was hoping to see it as soon as I could. Although I don’t watch many documentaries, this is easily one of the best I’ve seen so far. Throughout the entire runtime I was either completely invested, smiling, or holding back tears, and that alone makes this documentary fantastic. Only knowing a general portrait of who Fred Rogers was and what his show was about, my attention was on full display throughout the entire runtime. The reasoning behind what he thought and said, the impact on millions of children and adults, and the overall beautiful nature of who he was as a man was breathtaking to me. After I got home from the theater, I immediately watched an episode of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and completely fell in love with it. The archival footage and the editing that went with it, along with the animated segments were executed very well and gave the film some identity. At first I thought the animation was a bit basic, but once I realized that the context of the animation and how it is portrayed as if it were a children’s book really grew on me. My only problem is that I wish it were a bit longer and to dig a little deeper on the more philosophical and psychological elements of the mind of Fred Rogers, but other than that I haven’t had more fun in a theater all year. If you haven’t seen this yet this is a MUST watch that every person on this planet must see, and I am so happy this was how I was introduced to the great, brilliant, and inspirational Fred Rogers.

Connor liked these reviews