Memories of Murder ★★★★★

I had heard a lot about Memories of Murder, and I’m pleased to say it lived up to everything I had hoped for. This is a fantastic movie - a look at the dark side of a criminal investigation in which the detectives end up getting sucked into a vortex of obsession, violence and failure, grim enough to swallow anyone. The slow descent into paranoia is fascinating and disturbing.

This movie has no real resolution to offer you. It offers you the frustration of failure, the disappointment of unanswered questions and the desperation of feeling something within your grasp only to get yanked away. But it does it all without alienating the viewer, while keeping you on the edge of your seat, totally absorbed in the investigation, shocked by the methods, excited by the progress, saddened by the whirlwind of violence that starts with the killer but doesn’t end with him.

It’s hard to describe why Memories of Murder is so extraordinary, but it just IS. Instantly one of my favourite movies. A true dropkick to the head. I just wish I’d seen this sooner.

PS - Song Kang-Ho is incredibly magnetic, I’d watch him in anything.

Carla liked these reviews