Moulin Rouge!

Moulin Rouge! ★★★½

It's hard to say if this was a "Spectacular Spectacular", but this film certainly had its spectacular moments to say the least.

With my second Baz film in a row, I had a lot of high hopes going into this film. I've heard nothing but high praises from it among musical and cinema fans alike. Why I put off viewing this, I cannot say.

Visually, Moulin Rouge is one of the most aethetically pleasing films I've seen of recent. The costumes were gorgeous and the set designs were beautiful. Let's not forget about the incredible soundtrack either. I mean, Lady Marmalade is a fucking bop.

However, I felt as if the story had so much going on and the film tried to be everything all at once. It was all so dizzying, I had to pause a couple of times to take it all in. By the end, I wasn't invested with the tragic love story as I wanted to be, which was a shame because the story is rather lovely.

It's a rather pretty film and I would like to give it another watch. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh since I wanted to like it so much. Maybe I shouldn't have had such high expectations.

Katie🍸 liked these reviews