2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

I’d been waiting for the right time to sit myself down to watch 2001. Well, I got laid off last night and handed in my Masters Dissertation this morning so all the signs were pointing to now. Silver linings and all that.

It’s a movie that’s been discussed to death and then some, so I’m not going to sit here and pretend to offer up any new observations. But this has to be Kubrick at his most clinical, easily his emotionally distant and obsessively detail-orientated. It’s a movie that demands your attention. Never one to let his viewer have it too easy, but in reward you’re gifted to a stunning, trance-like experience akin to no other that’ll have you in hypnotics.

It genuinely blows my mind a little at how influential this is. The production design alone is so heavily ingrained in science fiction and the pop culture zeitgeist in general that calling Kubrick mystic wouldn’t even be a huge stretch. That’s not even mentioning the brilliantly unsettling sound design, the honestly ridiculous(ly beautiful) composition and eerily prophetic representation of A.I. And special shout out to the masterfully inventive use of miniatures to occupy this coldly haunting world.

And otherworldly it is. Truly transportive in a time where distraction is needed most. New life goal = see this on the biggest screen possible.

Cormac 👑 liked these reviews