Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★★

A mesmerizing and beautiful portrait of love that I will probably never get tired of watching. Call Me by Your Name was my favorite film of 2017 when it was released, but I haven't seen it for almost two years and was a little anxious for my third viewing of the film, but thankfully was just as emotionally invested into the story as upon those first two viewings.

Timothée Chalamet's emotional range hit me the hardest this time around. While the beginning takes some time for the audience to grow close to the characters and the story, the film really hits its full emotional impact the closer it gets towards the ending, and during the final scenes, Timothée Chalamet knocks out a heartfelt and devastating performance. Michael Stuhlbarg dominates the acclaimed monologue scene towards the ending of the film and delivers an absolute scene-stealer with his remarkable interpretation of the material.

As a big fan of André Aciman's novel, this viewing also made me notice a few flaws in Luca Guadagnino's adaptation, and there are a few small moments which I don't think worked all that well upon their transition towards this cinematic version of the story. However, they aren't enough to make me adore the film any less. I have no trouble understanding viewers who failed to become invested with these characters, as Call Me by Your Name is a very personal film that depends on the audience forming a connection with the characters in order to work as a love story.

2017 Ranked