Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★

Quentin Tarantino's western comedy has become one of the huge classics of the last decade by now, and is often ranked as one of his finest films after Pulp Fiction. I decided to rewatch this in preparation for his newest film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, because out of Tarantino's entire catalogue, for some reason, this was the least fresh in my mind and most requiring of a second watch.

I still remember disliking it the first time I watched it, and this experience certainly ended up making me appreciate this a lot more. I am still unsure about some of the praise directed towards this film, but the style, the score, the cinematography, the acting and the directing are all pitch-perfect and allow this to turn into one of Tarantino's finest works. There are some obvious Sergio Leone references, but all of them are professionally embedded in Tarantino's unmistakable style. Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson are perfect for their respective roles; I am not altogether sure about Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz, the two actors who received the most praise for their performances, but who I felt were a little too brute and forceful to come off as convincing.

Anyway, I'm glad I decided to give this a second chance. If you love the classic American western genre, then you'll probably also love this.

2012 Ranked