The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera ★★★★

In my opinion, the silent 1925 adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera works even better thanks to its limitations: there are no colors or lines of dialogue to distract from the pure and simple horrors as depicted in this film. Partly thanks to Rupert Julian's effective directorial choices, partly thanks to Lon Chaney's iconic and breathtaking performance as The Phantom, this film has created a benchmark in the horror genre and invented the boundaries along the lines of which subsequent Universal horror films such as Frankenstein or Dracula would be created.

One of the first American horror films, filled with striking images and memorable set pieces, accompanied by a wonderful score (I saw the less well-known original version that was originally released in September 1925, with 13 additional minutes in comparison to the 1929 re-release and Mozart's 40th and 4th symphonies and Franz Schubert's Symphony No. 8 as accompanying musical pieces). The quality of the print may have suffered a little at some points, but it's worth watching nonetheless as a historical document - a VERY entertaining one, I can assure you. This had some pleasant surprises for me.

Also, the further I got into watching this, the more have I become convinced that our music teacher actually showed us this film in fifth or sixth grade in school. Had totally forgotten that I technically already watched this before.

The 5th Annual Letterboxd Season Challenge | Week #4: Watch a previously unseen silent horror film.

Fabian liked these reviews