Three Colors: White

Three Colors: White ★★★½

I have to agree with the general consensus on Three Colors: White in that, while it is a welcome addition to Krysztof Kieslowski's famous trilogy, this middle section is the weakest link and simply pales in comparison to Blue and Red.

Why is that the case? Blue and Red both take an emotionally charged premise and unravel its potential by turning it into a thoughtful character study. White is more narrative-oriented and less visually focused, but still presents a smart and engaging story that showcases the destructive potential of sorrowful love, and the lengths people are able to go to hurt the ones they love.

Undeniably, White is a powerful and intelligent movie with countless interesting layers, but what I missed here was the comprehensive investment in the protagonist's emotional life that got me so engaged in Kieslowski's other films. Zbigniew Zamachowski delivers a good performance in the leading role, but it does not hold the same gut punch as Juliette Binoche in Blue, or Irène Jacob in Red. Additionally, I think Julie Delpy's Dominique should have gotten more screentime in order to develop her character more intimately; but then again, this is Karol's story, and not Dominique's.

It's a strong work and definitely a recommended watch, especially if you are interested in the rest of the Three Colors trilogy. But in the end, White is also too emotionally withdrawn for me to find much that could have spoken to me.

1994 Ranked