Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★

This is one of those films where you don't know whether to call it heartbreaking or motivating. It handles the terrifying subject of losing your hearing, which is one of my greatest fears, but does not leave you with a sense of dread at the end of the movie.
The sound mixing in this movie is perfect. I've never heard an accurate depiction of hearing going in and out captured artificially before. I have chronic tinnitus and I could not hear the high pitched ringing in the movie because it sounded exactly like what is in my ears already. I paused the movie multiple times when the captions said [high-pitched ringing] and I could not make out the difference between my actual tinnitus. The sound mixing also included the trippy way sound can like wash through your ears almost like air being released while the volume of the noise goes up and down.
This movie just does an amazing job at making the audience feel like it is experiencing the same thing the main character is in really creative ways.