2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★½

Pays to wait. Seeing this in a packed house on an IMAX screen will be something to remember. A lot of projects you can see the size and scope, but nothing feels quite like this. Notably something of a visual spectacle, with its meaning leaving more to chew on with repeat viewings, but its high art and experimental approach was something completely unexpected. Not sure what to make of that final scene, but there’s a through line here that at least feels a bit more tangible. Dawn of man chasing evolution, but disconnecting himself from everything else down the pipeline. The Hal sequence before intermission seemed to be the most well constructed piece narratively for me, and tackles an area of sentient A.I. I’m not sure I’ve seen anywhere else. Phenomenally well crafted in every crevice, and even if it all was just an art installation with a vapid center (some proclaim), there’s just too much to appreciate to call it anything less than a masterclass of filmmaking that will continue to stand the test of time.

CozyRy liked this review