Rambo

Rambo ★★★½

"Fuck the world."

In one of his best performances as the legendary character while simultaneously directing my favorite entry in the series, Sylvester Stallone slays in 'Rambo,' easily the goriest and most violent entry yet while remaining incredibly true to the character of John Rambo, who is very exhausted and self-loathing as he grapples with returning to his one true skill - death - to save the innocent. He's as capable as ever here, though we finally see him join a crew of mercenaries getting a paycheck for the same mission. The level of gore cannot be overstated, though I was sad to realize that a lot of the more crippling moments are done or enhanced through some rough CGI, which I didn't remember being the case.

It's certainly not a film for the faint of heart, featuring some of the most outlandishly realistic and brutal sequences of torture and murder I've ever seen on film, with a body count that totals over 450. You simply can't top that, and the film's boiling tension and rising kill count culminate in one of the most explosively frenetic finales out there, where Rambo takes on an entire army of goons while wielding a heavy machine gun. It's really something that you have to see to believe. It's a film that's even topical today, highlighting one of the lesser known massacres going on in the world, so it's nice that the film has something to say beyond endless massacres and bloodshed. It's still entertainment through and through, though, as exciting as they come.

Creasy007 liked this review