2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

I feel like anything I can write about 2001 has been written, and my little opinion doesn’t really matter but I’m gonna TRY to say a few things if I can but ummm ahaha I don’t know if I can.

One of the most engrossing, visually stunning, mysterious, and enticing movies to ever exist, 2001 is everything. It’s beautiful, dramatic, hard hitting, intense, terrifying, and profound. It’s why we go to the movies, and it is quite possibly, the best movie of all time.

As much as I love understanding movies, I know I don’t understand this movie and I don’t care. I never want to look up an explanation, I never want to understand it. I just want to be in awe of it, which is something I NEVER feel about anything.

I’ve edited this like five times but I have so much to say.

I was so frightened of the monolith. When it came on screen and that score came on, I felt myself pushing against the couch to try and move myself further from it. That thing is absolutely terrifying, with the first scene alone managing to make it so mysterious yet creepy. I still don’t know what it is I just know it made me want to leave.

It’s been said before but I need to say it, that Stargate scene is absolutely mesmerizing, my jaw was open in sheer astonishment of it like oh my god this was 1968? Impossible!

Kubrick and I may not get along the best historically (looking at you Doctor Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange), but I feel like I’m finally starting to love and appreciate his work, with Eyes Wide Shut and 2001 both becoming some of my new favorites. I used to think of watching a Kubrick film and feel anxious, now I’m excited to watch another one (hopefully Barry Lyndon).

Can I have my cinephile card yet?

Corbin liked these reviews