Minari

Minari ★★★★½

“Minari” tells the story of a Korean family, that move to Arkansas in order to start a farm.
~
“Minari” is the best film of the year, and it’s going to be incredibly hard to top. It’s one of the most heartwarming, and emotional stories I’ve ever seen. My extreme emotional attachment to this film is due to the fact that I have an extremely close relationship with my grandmother. Whatever it was, it hit me with such a strong emotional punch, to the point that I cried five times. The heart in “Minari” is huge. Almost every aspect helps contribute to this film being succeedingly powerful and moving. The screenplay is phenomenal, perhaps the greatest of the year so far. The performances are all incredibly outstanding, especially from Steven Yeun and Han Ye-ri. Their chemistry is so unbelievably raw and powerful. One of the most believable and realistic marriages in film, and it’s quite possibly the greatest aspect of this phenomenal film. Lee Isaac Chung’s direction is undoubtedly the best of the year. His attention to detail, and his closeups, are simply genius. The cinematography, as well, is the best of the year so far (although “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” comes close), and the ending (which I won’t spoil) is one of my favorites. “Minari” is the kind of film that comes along rarely. It has the perfect amount of sentimentality; it doesn’t go over-the-top, nor does it feel underwhelming. As of now I can’t quite say it’s perfect, but upon a rewatch I could most definitely see this going up. I’m blown away by how truly mesmerizing this film is, and I think it should be watched by as many people possible. This is the film we need now, in 2020.
~