Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★

Grade: 84%
2006 RankedHERE

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest is the follow-up to the massively successful first film in the franchise and also brings forward another swashbuckling adventure, this time focusing on many different plotlines with several characters, old and new. I definitely recognize the flaws this film has, there are way too many things going on and it very much feels like a set-up for the third film, the main characters can often feel like they have no direction and it’s objectively worse than the first film, but I love it nonetheless. I love the introduction of Davy Jones as well as Bootstrap Bill, but especially Jones played brilliantly by Bill Nighy. Jones is the best villain in the franchise in my opinion, I have always loved him, and it also serves as a reason why it feels like it should’ve been solely focused on him and not the weak human villain. Depp is once again magic as Captain Jack, Bloom and Knightley are good again, and the supporting characters bring their own unique traits to elevate the film. The CGI actually still holds up pretty well, the scenes with the kraken still look good and it successfully transports the audience to the open seas with pirates and treasure. That’s one of the major reasons I look upon these films so highly even with their flaws, they don’t pretend to be something they’re not and they don’t need to be deeper than they are, these are just really fun movies that I will always re-watch. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest is a flawed movie but more importantly, it’s a really fun movie and I don’t think my opinion on it will ever change.

Mitchell liked these reviews