Tenet

Tenet ★★★★½

Grade: 91%
2020 RankedHERE
Christopher Nolan RankedHERE

My most anticipated movie at the start of the year only became more so after the pandemic threw a wrench in 2020’s release schedule, there was a time when I didn’t think this film would be able to come out until next year and as it continued to reshuffle its release date, my anticipation only grew. Christopher Nolan is possibly my favourite director, he’s never made a bad movie and most of his work rank highly in my all-time favourites so seeing the trailers and reading about Tenet had me excited beyond belief. I’m happy to say that he’s once again brought a compelling, mind bending, original feature that really deserves the theatrical experience. It’s unfortunate that it’s being released during this time, less people will be able to enjoy it how it was meant to be seen and it will likely make much less money but in a way I’m grateful that I was able to see it after all these months. It might not have been the masterpiece I was hoping it would be, at least on a first viewing, but it was still a pretty excellent film. Everything Nolan does well is incredible in this, it has awe inspiring visuals, a fantastic score and a concept that I still can’t wrap my head fully around. The acting is also very strong, John David Washington is a bonafide star after this, Elizabeth Debicki is great as always and Robert Pattinson continues to make me excite to see what he brings as Batman. The only negatives I have as of now are that there’s not a lot of emotional depth to attach ourselves to the characters, which isn’t a major flaw but it’s worth mentioning, and the fact that I just don’t know how to piece together every plot point, especially during the second half of the film. Another watch could certainly increase my score and I’m looking forward to it but for now Tenet is still my favourite movie of the year and a phenomenal experience all around.

Mitchell liked these reviews