The Hunt

The Hunt ★★★½

Grade: 69%
2020 RankedHERE

The Hunt has been a victim of bad timing twice since it’s intended release of September 2019. First it was delayed because of the political climate and assumptions made about the film’s plot and although it was finally released in theatres last week, the worldwide pandemic shut down almost every theatre, which has forced it to be released digitally so people can watch while isolated. The circumstances surrounding this film in particular are extremely unique but looking solely at the product for what it is, it’s actually not a bad movie. I was actually excited when I saw the first trailer, I’m a big fan of Damon Lindelof who co-wrote this and I love a lot of the acting talent here as well so I had some anticipation for it. The first thirty minutes are extremely entertaining, it’s fast-paced and action-packed and really had me strapped in for a fun action film, but the wheels start falling off after that in my opinion. The middle of the movie is far less interesting in my opinion, the final twenty minutes bring it back up slightly but overall it evens out to be pretty decent all things considered. I enjoyed the violence, and the political commentary played it fairly down the middle, poking fun at both sides, including some clever jabs both ways. I was hoping for more, the story had a lot of potential but I wasn’t totally on board with the direction it took. I had a lot of fun with it though, it’s a fun thriller that I’m glad I watched and although controversial by nature, I appreciated the ambition of the plot. The Hunt is a pretty good movie, it’s unfortunate that the movie business is being put on hold for the time being but it’ll be back and thriving once everything passes, stay safe everyone!

Mitchell liked these reviews