BlacKkKlansman ★★★★

Not many movies make me angry, but ideas of white supremacy, racism and bigotry in general really get under my skin. I've seen movies that tackle these topics but none were as uncomfortable and disturbing as BlacKkKlansman. It's not that there are graphically violent scenes (save for the Charlottesville footage) but it's knowing while you're watching that this kind of stuff is real that makes it so impactful. It left me upset and I think that was the point.

But politics aside it's a well-made film. It looks nice. The acting is great. Corey Hawkins killed it in his minor role as Kwame Ture. Adam Driver and John David Washington were both good. There was a really tense 30-40 minutes near the end that had me on the edge of my seat. I thought the finale was a bit rushed and safe, and the transition to the Charlottesville footage was a bit weird. There were also some obvious digs at Donald Trump during the movie (ending excluded) that took me out of it a bit. That whole conversation where David Duke basically said "make america great again" was a bit silly.

Powerful movie if heavy-handed at times.

Crono liked this review