Solo: A Star Wars Story ★★★★

Donald Glover smirking at the camera was the peak of this franchise.

Not even sure if I'm joking.

....

But yeah.

I reeaaaally liked this.

Solo is by no means perfect, but it is for sure one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while. I'll admit its whole "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach is messy and damages the quality of the scenes that are truly effective, but because I'm a slut for anything sci-fi, this style worked far more than it didn't.

I think what made Solo work so well was that the vast array of characters was never dull. The new Han himself was good too. Awkward at times, sure. But he has charm, and I would be very in to see Alden play the role again.

For the others, Emilia Clarke was good. Probably my favorite non-Game of Thrones performance of hers. Donald Glover was my favorite thing ever (again I'm biased here, he could've been playing cards the whole movie and I still would've demanded he get an Oscar). Woody Harrelson is always fun to watch. And Paul Bettany is delightfully creepy.

So yeah, good crew.

Only real gripe is the sequel baiting. Just took me out of the movie a bit much.

Honestly, I'd say this is a step above Rogue One for me. It's shockingly less messy, and also much more entertaining.

All in all, I think Solo captured the spirit of the character and the franchise well, and I'm excited to see where they take Han's journey next.

Tooley liked these reviews