Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole ★★★

Finally a Zack Snyder film where the slow motion feels warranted!

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was surprisingly enjoyable and I certainly didn't expect to become so invested in the lore of warrior owls. The Owls of Ga'Hoole was also unexpectedly dark, and though it will appeal to younger audiences it is definitely mature enough to tick boxes for adults too.

With such a unique and silly concept The Owls of Ga'Hoole could have fleshed out its story and characters a bit more, and to that end I wouldn't have minded the film running slightly longer. It does look very impressive though, and Snyder's signature style runs deep within the stunning animation.

Though the battle sequences sound ridiculous on the surface I did actually get a lot of enjoyment out of watching two owls fight each other with tiny blades strapped to their talons. Snyder's propensity for slow motion really works in those moments too, because if he hadn't used so much slow-mo I wouldn't have been able to tell what was going on, what with the nature of how quickly birds move.

The Owls of Ga'Hoole is such a weird film and it had no right to be as enjoyable as it was, but I really did have fun with it. I wouldn't have minded a sequel, though I don't think one was necessarily needed, but I'm mostly just pleased to see that the occasional strange and quirky movie can still get made.