The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★★

OH

GOD this movie is a miracle.

Any film over 2 1/2 hours that manages to hold my attention the whole time gets at least 4 stars from me by default, and this film adds an HOUR onto that and wound up being one of the most entertaining and honest-to-God-brilliant films I've seen all fucking year.

This is gangster Scorsese at his most mature, and that word is getting thrown around a lot to describe this movie, but it's the truth. I've been watching nothing but Scorsese (and The Simpsons from the start) this week, so it was incredibly satisfying to watch Goodfellas, Casino and then this film. They're all so different, but they all have one thing in common. Scorsese's fuckin' heart. You feel it in every one of his films and this one is no exception.

I can totally see why a lot of people think that this would be a great film to bookend his career, but Scorsese's a speeding bullet. He's not gonna stop making movies until he can no longer do it, and thank fucking God for that.

In a lesser year, this would be a shoe-in for the best film of the year, but 2019 truly saved the best for last with this, Marriage Story, The Lighthouse and so many others coming out. That said, it's in my top 4 of the year and I was very worried about how this would turn out given how much it relies on the de-aging technology, but it was great! I seriously didn't notice it at all aside from one war flashback near the start, but other than that, holy FUCK, digital make-up is the way of the future. I can't imagine what this tech is gonna look like in just a couple of years.

Over 200 minutes long and a total masterpiece from start to finish. I fucking loved this film.

TheCultureShocker/Aleister liked these reviews