A Ghost Story ★★★★★

i think a ghost story has been one of the few films i've seen that properly expresses grief and love. i have never been in love (and after seeing this, i'm not sure i ever want to) but i fell in love with this gem of a film. i loved everything about this, i loved the ghosts talking to each other, i loved the cinematography, i loved the drunken monologue (that gave me an existential crisis), but most of all i love how it captured grief. i know grief and depression well enough to the point where i had to have my friend carry me to the shower because i physically and mentally couldn't get up. rooney mara's famous pie eating scene is something i don't think i can ever get over because i felt so much pain in her every bite and it's a perfect portrayal. when my grandfather died, i laid there in my bed staring at nothing because i found out by fucking accident and in that small one take of her eating pie, i found a film that accurately shows what grief is. one of my favorite films of 2017 and one of my favorite films ever. we do what we can to endure.

jen liked these reviews