The Master

The Master ★★★★★

The Master takes a very non-traditional route in term of story telling. It doesn't have a climax really and it doesn't have a huge ending, but I don't think that matters and I think that was the directors intent... at least I hope. I will tell you now, if you're looking for a straight forward narrative and an easy to follow story... you're gonna have a bad time.

I think The Master does a wonderful job at looking at religion and where it begins and who decides to follow it... and why they do. Some people "drink the Kool-Aid" and some do not I guess. The Master is also a character study on a man who comes in and out of that experience... that experience being religion.

The Master excels primarily in a few areas. Mainly the acting, it's about as good as it gets. Hoffman, Phoenix, and Adams all deserve some award that will make them feel good about themselves. The cinematography is also top notch and the score by Johnny Greenwood is fantastic.

I was really happy with the outcome here and while it's not for everyone, it's for me.