This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
Liz Maupin’s review published on Letterboxd:
This review may contain spoilers.
moments that affected me:
- when Lou held her hands over her eyes while Ruben was breaking things in the van
- when Ruben had to sit alone in the room with the journal and he was so upset that he smashed his donut, then would quickly scoop it all back together, and smash it again
- when Ruben and the kid drummed on the metal slide
- when he finally laughed while playing with his classmates in the field
- near the end when Lou is back in the picture. they seem like two people who did need the time apart, and at least one of them seems better for it. it certainly feels like a relationship that has perhaps gone on too long, and has run its course. (i typed this just before it became realized on screen)
this movie has such excellent acting. i... am impressed!