Wristcutters: A Love Story ★★★★★

It's been a long time since I've seen this film and I love it just as much as ever! Nothing like a simple love story that's a little off-beat. This film has an amateurish charm to it that captures you from the first frame and takes you by the hand and guides you through a quirky and sad world. All while introducing you to characters you won't soon forget, set to the wonderful musical stylings of one of my favorite bands, Gogol Bordello. Wristcutters introduces a world where people who succeeded in committing suicide end up, a purgatory. A world that is pretty much the same, except a little more bleak and unforgiving. A world where no one can smile or be happy, a place to merely exist. But, most importantly, a place where miracles can happen.

More than anything this is the story of the development of an unlikely love between two people whose paths happen to join together. In their time together Zia and Mikal find solace and relief in eachother in this world that offers nothing but disappointment.

I know that all sounds really cheesy, and it is. But, that's part of what I love so much about it! Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I love the thought of finding relief in the face of utter bleakness.

If you are looking for something that's the same as usual but slightly different, if you are a fan of indie films, or a fan of films about love, I recommend giving this one a shot.

Ray liked these reviews