42 Up ★★★★

I first heard of the Michael Apted’s 7 Up series when 42 Up was released in the US back in early 2000 as a young 20-something in the living room of my soon to be in-laws while watching “Roger Ebert & The Movies” after dinner. The series, which follows a number of subjects from the UK originally profiled when they were 7 years old that checks in with the ever aging kids every 7 years, sounded fantastic, but I never got around to seeing it. With a few months left of being 42 myself, it was time to give it a watch.

It didn’t disappoint. What has happened in their lives recently? Lots of divorce and plenty of parents dying. I’ve seen plenty of that in my contemporaries too. Cutting between decades of their lives demonstrates how you can’t know what life is going to throw at you. Go on camera saying you don’t want kids? Expect a kid. Say that you’re only having one? Cut to 7 years later and you’ve got 3. It’s an eye opening film and having just read a piece about the latest film 63 Up, just released a month ago in the UK, I look forward to seeing how perspective continues to change as we all age.

daftmonk liked this review