Interstellar ★★★★

With Interstellar it seems pretty obvious that Christopher Nolan is critiquing modern human society's lack of ambition, seeing as we have all but given up our dream of the stars. That said, he could just as easily be attacking the medium of film itself, with big budget Hollywood films seeming content to cash in on superhero movies and sequels instead of innovating or trying anything new. Love him or hate him, I feel Nolan is the master of the modern blockbuster, able to take large sums of money and make big Hollywood films that are safe and formulaic enough to please mainstream audiences, while still being artistic and smart enough to please many of us film aficionados. Few directors can walk such a tightrope, and Nolan does it again with Interstellar, telling the story of a team of astronauts who must leave Earth to find a new home for humanity. We've seen this story before, but Nolan presents it with enough visual flair, heartfelt writing, and galactic imagination to still make it feel fresh. The film boasts some fine performances, solid music, good dialogue, and some amazing moments, such as the worm-hole sequence, and almost everything that follows it. While it is clearly reaching for 2001: A Space Odyssey, it does fall short (like any film will when compared to that masterpiece), but Interstellar comes closer then other recent attempts like Sunshine or Gravity, by displaying a sense of scientific wonder and marvel at the unknown. I feel a second viewing will be needed for me to really process everything about this film, but until then I feel safe saying this, the film's robots TARS and CASE might be the coolest robots in film history!

Devon liked these reviews