Love Exposure ★★★½

I finally saw Love Exposure, and it turned out to be exactly what I thought it was gonna be.

For the sake of brevity, as also since this film doesn't have much of note, here's a pros and cons list for the film:

Pros:
— The themes of misinterpretation of Love and Religion for selfish means proves to be the film's strongest aspect on its literary side.
— The direction is quite impressive for the majority of the film. Not necessarily spectacular, but indeed remarkable in the film.
— The film's moral ambiguity causes much intrigue within the viewer, and thusly creates interest flowing throughout the film.
— The film is deftly paced, especially during the first three chapters of the film.
— The film's soundtrack is incredible, and perfectly suited for the film.

Cons:
— The film doesn't have much of a lasting impact or resonance. I'll probably forget about this film rather soon.
— The film seems devoid of a lot of meaning throughout most of the film, especially with respect to themes, as besides the themes I mentioned above, none are really expanded on in the film, and if they are, they do not flourish or prove to be meaningful.
— The film proves to be a fun experience, yet basically just that: fun. The characters galavant around, and their scenarios prove to be quite enjoying, yet it doesn't really add up to much in the long run.
— The invisible bullets motif was miserably bad and poorly utilized.
— Chapter four gets tiresome after about an hour and a half or so, and doesn't really become that good again until the Final Chapter.
— The film feels like it's all narrative, and without a lot of meaningful substance. It's like food with a hint of lime—the food being the narrative, and the meaningful substance being the hint of lime.

Not a bad film, and it has a lot of redeemable qualities, yet it's nowhere near the great film that people make it out to be. If you want entertainment, you'll probably 5 star this film; but if you want artistic substance, one might as well look elsewhere. There's style, and there's fun, but not much else. Sorry people, not for me.

Also, my 500th film.