A Ghost Story ★★★★

The new film from director David Lowery where he ruminates on death and the traces of existence we humans leave behind after we're gone. It's gained some notice because (1) A24 is releasing it (2) Casey Affleck's performance is 75% him not speaking and covered head to toe in a sheet, and (3) there's a long shot of Rooney Mara eating pie that has caused... discussion.

Personally, I loved it. It's a quick 92 minutes, but due to its impressive editing and the way it plays with the construct of time, sometimes it feels longer and other times it feels shorter. The aspect ratio is square, the cinematography is beautifully muted, and the whole thing just feels very personal, enjoyably-small and handmade (albeit with a budget to afford a few Weta-digital-effects; thanks "Pete's Dragon"!)

It's definitely not a horror film (nor a "post-horror" film like some sites have labeled it). It contains a few tropes of haunted-house movies, but that's not at all what it's about. If you can suspend your disbelief for the sake of the vision, and don't mind your movies taking their time to quietly wax philosophical on the nature of life, death, existence -- and what role art plays in our lives -- definitely check this one out. It's beautiful and thoughtful and uses its constructs to make some astute observations.