Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

Let me get this out of the way. 2004’s Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie. HOWEVER, Into the Spider-Verse is still a FANTASTIC movie. The concept of an animated Spider-Man movie is a novel idea. You’d think that a big-league superhero, such as Spider-Man, would keep his theatrical films contained to the live-action realm, but here we are with a theatrical, animated Spider-Man film and that alone deserves praise.

As a whole, the film is a triumph. It’s a high-concept and ambitious film that accomplishes everything that it set out to do. The heroes and villain are full of distinct character and are voiced by actors who provide the emotional heft of the story. The script is full of clever twists and hilarious one-liners. I’m not entirely sure what kind of animation this is, but whatever it is, I love it and would love to see more. Finally, Daniel Pemberton provides a score full of themes that support the various “Spider People.” In all, this film should be at the top of your list for films to see this Holiday Season. I can’t imagine other films being as good as this.