The Empire Strikes Back

The Empire Strikes Back ★★★★★

My Favourite Films vid -> HERE.
My 10 Favourite TV Shows vid -> HERE.

Logging on Empire for two reasons: one, The Mandalorian is on my 10 TV Shows vid, and two, I think this might be my favourite movie at the moment.

I absolutely love the set designs, music and general atmosphere created when Yoda’s training Luke on Degobah, I admire how the film ends on a down note/cliffhanger, and it’s home to so many of cinema’s most iconic lines, characters, scores and plot twists. From Yoda’s introduction to the Imperial March, to Han Solo’s “I know.” to the now-impossible-to-not-know reveal.

I also noticed how everyone in this movie/trilogy is iconic and memorable. Luke, Old Ben, Leia, Vader, C3PO, R2D2, Jabba, Lando, Boba Fett, Yoda, Chewie, the Emperor. There are probably more.

It captures a tone and tells a gripping story with emotional gut-punches, thrilling action sequences - from the battle of Hoff to the Asteroid Field sequence (not to mention the emotionally-charged lightsaber battle) - and important character moments.

I love the general feel of this one in particular what with the good guys being on the back foot, and the lines and music are just endlessly enjoyable. Also, “Never tell me the odds” is something my Dad always says and I’ve since begun to employ. Love that line and the humour throughout the movie with Han getting annoyed with C3PO.

My only real issue is that most of the effects don’t hold up super well today, but you can’t really blame a movie for that when it came out 40 years ago. The practical effects are awesome too.

9.5/10