Shadow of a Doubt

Film Diversity Challenge
Progress: 222/360

Noir
Progress: 24/30

This was a nice bounce back for me as far as Hitchcock goes, as I tried Marnie earlier this month and it was one of the least impressive of his films that I've seen. Apparently this was his favorite, and while I don't necessarily agree with that personally, it's still quite good and I wonder if a second attempt will have me agreeing with him. Joseph Cotten is a really good creepy dude in this one, playing Uncle Charlie. It's an interesting film because within the first third of the film you pretty much know what will happen, and there are few surprises to be had. But that doesn't seem to stop this from being entertaining, as the characters are all interesting. Watching the changing dynamics between Charlotte and her uncle is obviously the focus, but I also really enjoyed the comic relief of Charlie's dad and his friend Herbie, who spend their free time discussing how they would murder each other without getting caught. It's not perfect, but it really is a solid crime film and it's close to my favorite of his at this point.