The Innkeepers ★★★½

Dan’s Hoop-Tober Catch Up

Progress: 56/107

I'm not sure I've ever watched a movie quite like this, where I agreed equally with the negative and positive reviews. I suppose in the end it just comes down to your personal tastes with horror films. Yes, it's deliberately slow-paced, and not much happens in the first hour or so. But I enjoyed that first part, where you get to see our two main characters interact with each other and the few hotel guests. I can understand why some people are disappointed with this film, and at the same time the five star reviews are completely understandable as well. And so for me, it falls a bit more on the positive side. I'd watch it again, pretty much just for the banter of Sara Paxton and Pat Healy.

I did find the ending to be a bit of a letdown which hurt my rating slightly, but overall I still found it to be enjoyable, and engaging, horror film. I definitely enjoyed The House of the Devil, so I guess you can call me a Ti West fan at this point. Somehow even though he doesn't rely on a lot of your typical horror scares I still find myself sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for something to startle me. And for the most part that doesn't happen, and I actually find that a bit refreshing to be honest. There are a few jump scares but it doesn't consistently rely on that.