3 Women

3 Women

3 Women is a haunting mystery spot in the filmography of Robert Altman. Forgive the pretentious quality of what I am about to say, but few filmmakers, living or dead, speak film language as fluently as Robert Altman. His direction is so keen, his writing is so dynamic, and he pulls incredible performances out of everyone in his films.

Shelly Duvall and Sissy Spaseck are mystifying & magnetic in this film, their performances are rich and very thoughtfully crafted. I am especially impressed with Duvall, someone I know I will be seeing a lot more of as I work through the rest of Altman’s catalogue.

This movie is a mysterious one, and it is hard to wrap your head around after a single watch but I was engaged from start to finish. The surreal blending of identity and back & forth tension, gaslighting, etc. between the women is engrossing and very well executed. There’s a lot about dream interpretation and the subconscious as well. I’m just not sure what to make of it all yet. I highly recommend 3 Women and I’m really thankful that Criterion released this one as my research about the film revealed there was no home release for it until 2004 when they added it to the collection.