Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★★

Seeing Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood tonight so I decided to rewatch what is maybe my favorite Tarantino film. Django Unchained is packed full of style, substance, great acting from Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, DiCaprio, and Christoph Waltz, with amazing music and cinematography to boot. It’s a wild ride, sometimes taking very dark turns but other times managing to be so fun and exciting and as bloody as you’d expect.

I love modern takes on genres that have fallen out of style and Tarantino has done so well with his two western set films. This one especially is just so cool and some of the scenes beautifully capture the charm of old Westerns while adding some flair and great production value that may have been impossible in decades past.

Christoph Waltz steals the show, similarly to his performance in Inglorious Basterds. He is so funny and charming throughout his time on screen. But Foxx really holds his own and is so fun to watch in this movie. I wish he had more leading action roles in films of this caliber because he’s very charismatic.

The gunfights are some of the best action sequences I’ve seen in Tarantino’s work, the score is absolutely amazing. I really just love everything about this film. I don’t know if it’s my absolute favorite because I also love Inglorious Basterds too much to really decide but I think his more historical films are so full of energy and momentum to the point where I can rewatch them over and over and always have a really great time.

Daniel liked this review