Inside Llewyn Davis

Inside Llewyn Davis

I think this is my favorite movie. Every rewatch is a beautiful journey. The Bob Dylan homage at the end gives me goosebumps every single time without fail. I’ve become a much bigger Dylan fan since the last time I watched this movie and it hits even harder now as a result. The last viewing I came out with a much more analytical look at the narrative but this time I really was just wanting to watch it for the music and the emotional experience.

Keeping in mind the Safdie Brothers’ philosophy of movies about “winners who never win,” I think Llewyn Davis fits perfectly aside a protagonist like Howard Ratner or Connie Nikas. The ambition and talent is there, but it’s either misused or abused while the protagonist continually puts himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and doesn’t do much in way of helping himself with his brash, cynical attitude.

The music is gorgeous, the cinematography and muted, earthy color palette fit the setting and folk scene so perfectly, and the acting is all amazing. The movie evokes the same feeling as the great folk records of that time period. It’s deeply comforting, and one I’ll continue to watch throughout the years.

Daniel liked these reviews