Mulholland Drive

David Lynch has a lot of masterpieces but this just might be my favorite that I’ve seen so far. I’ll be thinking about this for a very long time and I don’t even know where to begin with my interpretations of the narrative but I’m so excited to dig into it. It’s so clear after watching this how many films have been inspired by Mulholland Drive. This and Inherent Vice both really got me in the mood to revisit Under the Silver Lake too for its similar approach to surrealist neo-noir storytelling against the backdrop of Los Angeles.

It’s as idiosyncratic as Lynch’s best works, and the performances are all amazing. Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, and Justin Theroux are especially great but the film totes an impressive supporting cast as well. The music and cinematography are great, it’s not as visually distinct as Eraserhead but it’s a really beautiful looking film. There are some disturbing surrealist elements that creep in like in most of his works but it’s also tonally different from anything I’ve seen him do before.

I wish I had more to say but the plot and thematic elements are more or less impossible to get into without spoiling so I’ll urge anyone who is interested in watching this movie to do so without reading anything at all about it. And when I say anything, I mean any reviews that address specific narrative turns, plot synopsis, even the casting credits (I can’t explain why but trust me). I went in completely blind and it was such a wild ride.

Daniel liked these reviews