Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman

Don't let the trailers fool you, this is not what anybody was expecting. And coming from someone who was waiting to see it since December, 2019... IT WAS PHENOMENAL!

Starting off with the fact that is the funniest unfunny comedy that deals with the heartache, anger, trauma and guilt about living through or knowing someone that was sexually abused. Which is something that will push many buttons, (and rightfully so) given how touchy the subject is, and especially the decisions made by the morally questionable, hurt and flawed lead character, played with perfection by Carey Mulligan. You may hate her, love her or hate to love her, but most important, you'll understand her pain and why she is the way she is, all thanks to how rich the writing of the screenplay really is, how relevant it is, which is heart-breaking, and by the time the movie ends, you WILL FEEL heart-broken, thing i find fascinating in a revenge thriller.

And hey, as much as i truly did love this movie, it's not perfect. I understand the debacle about the ending, i too have mixed feelings about what happens and how it happens, but i don't think it minimizes the rest of the movie, how well made/acted it is, its intention or its message.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate how wonderful was the soundtrack? I can't get over the fact that i got to listen to a beautifully haunting arrangenment of Toxic by Britney Spears, Boys by Charli XCX, 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls and Stars Are Blind by Paris Hilton, IN THE SAME MOVIE. AND BO BURNHAM WAS SINGING ALONG? This may actually be the best thing to come out of 2020, don't @ me.

danielotski liked these reviews