Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou

Godard is a filmmaker I've never really liked. I nonetheless make a return to his filmography once in a while in an attempt to find something to like about him and his filmmaking. The first film of his I ever saw was his most iconic: Breathless. I've seen this a handful of times now and despite everthing I learn about it, I just don't enjoy, or care for, the film. Secondly, I watched Vivre Sa Vie and, despite the character study that this is, in part, supposed to be, I just didn't connect with the film or the characters. The most recent feature-length Godard film I've seen was The Chinese. Though I like the idea of a film being about a film (which, considering their reflexivity, basically all of Godard's films are), I despised this film. Unlike the likes of 8 1/2, Day For Night or Interior. Leather Bar, The Chinese is a film about a film that is imbued with immeasurable pretence that is not given depth or nuance by the layers of the narrative; it is just grating.

Today, I've made a return to Godard with Pierot Le Fou and, thankfully, I didn't dislike this as much as The Chinese. Nonetheless, I did not like it much at all. (I do, however, love the plot summary - which says a lot in and of itself). Though I had to trudge through 2 hours of disconnect and boredom, there were a few moments of this narrative that not only projected the brilliance of the fundamental narrative and arrested me emotionally, but captured something of intellectual substance... more from:
danielslackdsu.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/pierrot-le-fou-auteur-broken-cinematic.html