The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man ★★★½

Leigh Whannell breathes new life into an iconic horror franchise

Sometimes the scariest things in life are the things that we cannot see. This rings true for Director Leigh Whannell’s “Invisible man”. Elizabeth Moss stars as our leading lady Cecilia, a recovering abuse victim reeling from the news that her abusive husband has killed himself after she left him.

For the majority of the film, Whannell never introduces Cecilia’s ‘horrific’ husband other than a brief moment at the start when he calls out to her as she runs as fast as her legs will take her. You almost feel sorry him. I say almost specifically as moments later we see him punch his hand through the glass window of a moving vehicle. What we learn however, is enough to make our skin crawl, Whannell masterfully takes the audience through the deep layers that encase the mystery surrounding The Invisible Man and who or what he actually is.

Which leads me to The Invisible Man as a villian. In recent years the idea of this character has bounced from nuanced hero to comical side kick. Here he is showcased as a horror powerhouse. The subtle indications that he may be in a scene are so meticulously executed that your left asking yourself: is he actually there?

The practicality of the Invisible side of things are actually well thought out, yes there are moments when you may have to suspend your disbelief for a certain scene to work but it’s not enough to break this films suffocating grip that it holds over its audience. What we see here is a believable haunting reimagining of one of cinemas oldest villains.

Now for the bad stuff, I would have loved to give this film the prestigious 5 stars but I just can’t. For as clever as the film is, and as shocking some of the death scenes are (there are loads by the way) the film seems to drift away slightly for me mid way through.  For a portion of the film, the story argues that we consider the idea that the titular villain is nothing more than a manifestation of Cecilia’s trauma. The problem here is how can you justify this angle when we’ve already witnessed the Invisible man blatantly murder several members of the cast?

This gripe shouldn’t be enough to deter You from this film as it truly is modern horror At its finest and Elizabeth Moss’ performance is enough to carry this film for miles. If anyone reading this wants an lesson in acting On screen, take a look at her here. It’s the small details that make this film far more than Just another retelling, it does what all remakes should do, it adds depth.